Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Best Vietnamese Food Route If You Have 30 Minutes in Chinatown

For the longest time, I didn't think that anything in New York could come close to authentic Vietnamese food back in California. Back in Orange County, you can buy a Vietnamese sandwich (bánh mì) for under $3, and boba (don't call it bubble tea unless you want to be shamed) for exactly $1.25. And it's delicious and hits the spot every time.

But alas! New York did not fail me. Without further ado, here is my favorite quick Vietnamese food route to take people on whenever they come to visit. Start off with a BBQ pork sandwich at Banh Mi Saigon, and then top it off with some boba at Ten Ren Tea Time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Freshman year of college, I used sit in my room sullenly and think about all the great Vietnamese food I was missing out on back at home. One night my sister barged into my room, proclaiming that she had a new Vietnamese sandwich shop for us to try. The next day we trekked over to Chinatown, tasted a BBQ Pork Sandwich at Banh Mi Saigon, and took our friends back with us three days later to make them try the best bánh mì in New York. And all for $4.50.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

For the next two years, my bánh mì cravings were satiated, but the boba was never as successful. In moments of weakness I went into any shop that proclaimed they sold "bubble tea," ordered the milk tea, and always left feeling disappointed that it was either too watery or sweet. I'm still on the hunt for my all time favorite boba place, but Ten Ren Tea Time on Mott St. in Chinatown is close to the most authentic I've tried. If you're up for something a bit different, order the taro milk tea with boba ($3).


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Photos all from Google

No comments:

Post a Comment